The singularity is not near: slowing growth of Wikipedia
|The singularity is not near: slowing growth of Wikipedia|
|Author(s)||Bongwon Suh, Gregorio Convertino, Ed H. Chi, Peter Pirolli|
|Keyword(s)||Growth, Logistic model, Population, Power law, Resistance, Wikipedia (Extra: Current trends, Logistic models, Overhead costs, Power law, Sociotechnical systems, Wikipedia)|
|Article||BASE, CiteSeerX, Google Scholar|
|Web||Ask, Bing, Google (PDF), Yahoo!|
|Download and mirrors|
|Local copy||Not available|
|Export and share|
|BibTeX, CSV, RDF, JSON|
|Browse properties · List of conference papers|
Prior research on Wikipedia has characterized the growth in content and editors as being fundamentally exponential in nature, extrapolating current trends into the future. We show that recent editing activity suggests that Wikipedia growth has slowed, and perhaps plateaued, indicating that it may have come against its limits to growth. We measure growth, population shifts, and patterns of editor and administrator activities, contrasting these against past results where possible. Both the rate of page growth and editor growth has declined. As growth has declined, there are indicators of increased coordination and overhead costs, exclusion of newcomers, and resistance to new edits. We discuss some possible explanations for these new developments in Wikipedia including decreased opportunities for sharing existing knowledge and increased bureaucratic stress on the socio-technical system itself.
- This section requires expansion. Please, help!
Cited byThis publication has 13 citations. Only those publications available in WikiPapers are shown here:
- A Statistical Approach to the Impact of Featured Articles in Wikipedia
- A quantitative examination of the impact of featured articles in Wikipedia
- Classroom Wikipedia participation effects on future intentions to contribute
- Edição colaborativa na Wikipédia: desafios e possibilidades
- Entre o agrupamento e a comunidade virtual: colaboração e conflitos na edição das biografias dos jogadores “Adriano” e “Ronaldo” na Wikipédia em português
- Making Peripheral Participation Legitimate: Reader Engagement Experiments in Wikipedia
- Processos editoriais auto-organizados na Wikipédia em português: a edição colaborativa de "Biografias de Pessoas Vivas"
- Reverts Revisited: Accurate Revert Detection in Wikipedia
- The Rise and Decline of an Open Collaboration System: How Wikipedia's Reaction to Sudden Popularity is Causing its Decline
- Towards a diversity-minded Wikipedia
- What We Know About Wikipedia: A Review of the Literature Analyzing the Project(s)
- Who integrates the networks of knowledge in Wikipedia?
- Wiki Readers Wiki Writers