Evaluating authoritative sources using social networks: an insight from Wikipedia
|Evaluating authoritative sources using social networks: an insight from Wikipedia|
|Author(s)||Nikolaos Th. Korfiatis, Marios Poulos, George Bokos|
|Published in||Online Information Review|
|Keyword(s)||Wikipedia, Social Networks|
|Article||BASE, CiteSeerX, Google Scholar|
|Web||Ask, Bing, Google (PDF), Yahoo!|
|Download and mirrors|
|Local copy||Not available|
|Export and share|
|BibTeX, CSV, RDF, JSON|
|Browse properties · List of publications|
Evaluating authoritative sources using social networks: an insight from Wikipedia is a 2006 publication written in English by Nikolaos Th. Korfiatis, Marios Poulos, George Bokos and published in Online Information Review.
Purpose: The purpose of this paper is to present an approach to evaluating contributions in collaborative authoring environments and in particular wikis using social network measures.
Design / methodology / approach: A social network model for wikipedia has been constructed and metrics of importance such as centrality have been defined. Data have been gathered from articles belonging to the same topic using a web crawler in order to evaluate the outcome of the social network measures in the articles.
Originality / Value: This work tries to develop a network approach to the evaluation of wiki contributions and approaches the problem of quality of wikipedia content from a social network point of view.
Practical Implications: We believe that the approach presented here could be used to improve the authoritativeness of content found in Wikipedia and similar sources.
This publication has 7 references. Only those references related to wikis are included here:
- "Proceedings of Wikimania 2005 - the first international Wikimedia conference" (create it!)
- "Librarian: don’t use Wikipedia as a source" (create it!)
- "Wikipedia as participatory journalism: Reliable sources? Metrics for evaluating collaborative media as a news resource"
- "Wikipedia science 31% more cronky than britannica’s" (create it!)
Cited byThis publication has 5 citations. Only those publications available in WikiPapers are shown here:
- A Brief Review of Studies of Wikipedia in Peer-Reviewed Journals
- A Characterization of Wikipedia Content Based on Motifs in the Edit Graph
- Citation needed: The dynamics of referencing in Wikipedia
- Um método automático para estimativa da qualidade de enciclopédias colaborativas on-line: um estudo de caso sobre a Wikipédia
- What We Know About Wikipedia: A Review of the Literature Analyzing the Project(s)